Fall back into fitness!
When the weather gets cooler and it starts getting dark earlier, it can deter people from going outside to workout. However, fall is one of the most beautiful times to be outside!
While this year may be different; there are still plenty of ways to incorporate exercise!
1. Find an Event
Organize a friend or family experience:
- visit an orchard for pumpkin or apple picking
- build leaf piles with your children or grandchildren
- sign up for an active sport such as Halloween runs, turkey trots, and reindeer romps. Many are doing virtual runs this year!
2. See the Views
Grab a friend or family member and visit local parks or trails to experience the season change with a:
- bike ride
Lake of the Woods in Mahomet, Meadowbrook Park in Urbana and Hessel Park in Champaign are great locations if you are in the Champaign-Urbana area!
3. Do Your Chores
- rake leaves
- mow the lawn
Raking leaves or gardening can burn around 150 calories every 30 minutes.
4. Increase Your Walking
Sneak in some activity by being intentional. Get a few extra steps when you:
- park further away from the entrance of a store
- take your dog on an extra walk each day
- walk on the treadmill while watching your favorite TV show
- march in place when cooking or brushing your teeth
Try to work out in the morning or during the day. When the time changes, it becomes darker earlier and it can feel as if it is later in the day than it really is. This can make you more tired than usual and likely to forgo evening activities.
Getting into a routine of working out early will guarantee the workout gets done and still allow time in the afternoons and evenings to relax!